Formed through a transatlantic merger in 2010, when City giant Lovells and US firm Hogan & Hartson became one – there are now over 800 partners and 2,500 lawyers operating out of over 40 offices in the United States, Europe, Latin America, the Middle East, and Asia.
The firm has been in the news recently (summer 2013) with the announcement of its 44th office, in Rio. The Rio de Janeiro office will enable a major expansion in Brazil and South America, says the ambitious firm.
In London, Hogan Lovells’ UK head quarters are comfortable and impressive. Atlantic House, on Holborn Viaduct EC1, boasts an employee restaurant, coffee shop and in-house gym. The social life is good, and there’s a charitable ‘citizenship’ programme staff can get involved in. It’s one of those firms seen as “pushing at the magic circle” according to Chambers Student. This is the place for interesting international work, and the big deals that go through Hogan Lovells frequently make headlines in the Financial Times. Chambers notes that law students are drawn to Hogan Lovells for “the quality of training and the breadth of practices” and the firm is ranked by Chambers UK in over 40 areas.
Hogan Lovells recruits lawyers who excel in their chosen practice area and have a strong academic background.
Career opportunities in the London office:
Lawyers: Excellent career prospects here. Many transactions are cross-border and lawyers are provided with opportunities to work with colleagues on a global basis. There are some opportunities to undertake a secondment to one of the international offices or to clients.
Trainee Solicitors: In London up to 60 trainee solicitors are recruited per year.
Legal PAs: Legal PAs in the London office make an important contribution to the delivery of a high quality service to internal and external clients. In addition to demonstrating excellent technical skills, PAs have the opportunity to become involved in a range of administrative and client supporting tasks. They are expected to demonstrate a range of abilities including planning and organising; client care; interpersonal skills; judgment and initiative; and enthusiasm and energy.
Business Services Professionals: The firm’s Business Services departments comprise:Business Development & Public Relations, Finance, HR, Technology, Compliance and Knowledge Management.
The five Hogan Lovells Values:
According to the corporate website: “Our five values are a fundamental part of who we are: they reflect the principles by which we conduct ourselves, shaping what we do and how we do it. They are also real and reflect the ethos of our legacy firms.”
1. Clients come first: Our aim is to satisfy our clients through a deep understanding of their needs, their businesses, and their industries, and by providing excellent, responsive, and innovative service.
2. Excellence in all we do: We combine technical excellence in our work with a business-oriented approach, the highest level of integrity, and a focus on solutions.
3. One team worldwide: We act as an integrated team across our entire firm worldwide, working together in an atmosphere of mutual respect, collegiality, and friendliness.
4. Commitment to our firm’s success: We put intense effort into our work and actively look for ways to deliver the best results for our clients and so for our firm.
5. Good citizenship: We embrace our responsibility to give back to our communities through pro bono and community service work and we are committed to a diverse workforce that is inclusive and welcoming.
Browse our current vacancies at Hogan Lovells.
Most lawyers, especially those who have been practicing law for some time, tend to be naturally drawn to one particular type of law over another. And for many, such a preference has been determined early on in their profession, or possibly even earlier, during their...
Our partners, The Student Lawyer are currently running the third round of their mentorship scheme, where they aim to match aspiring lawyers from underrepresented backgrounds with mentors in the legal profession. The last few years have seen a much-needed focus on...
Are you looking for the best universities to study in and become a great lawyer? Well, you have come to the right place. The world is a big one and you can choose any country to study in. Each of them has law universities you can study in, but not all can make you a...